Monday, May 8, 2017

Screening Report 6: South Africa: Tsotsi

Tsotsi



1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

In class we discussed the environment of the plot. We discussed the rural conditions of a third world country that has to deal with Aids and poverty. Also the stages of the young man Tsosti changing from a "thug" to a "hero" of some sort. We went into depth about the scenarios that led up to  his epiphany like finding the baby in the car he stole. The music in the film played a pivotal part in engaging the audience emotions.

2)  Find a related article and summarize the content.  (on the film, director, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, etc.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/24/movies/from-south-africa-a-tough-thug-shows-his-big-heart.html

The article I chose was published by the NY times, analyzes the trials and tribulations Tsotsi endures throughout the film. According to the critic,Tsotsi represents an oxymoron that is a combination of behavior such as ruthless, loving, cynical, compassionate thief, who just wants redemption for his pass. The critic explains how it would be difficult for an american mind to understand the living conditions Tsotsi has to face such as lack basic needs.

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.

This article made me realize how even though he tries his best to change his ways, a domino effect from his pass continues to follow him. Even though we may view him as the villain, he tries to change his ways when he returns the baby at the end. I feel like that was the biggest plot twist.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion,  formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.

This film inspires people who have been the underdog their whole life, but still manage to find their way. Tsotsi is a story of redemption, inspiration, violence, trial, and tribulations all in one, Tsotsi doesn't want to be a thug or a criminal but has to survive in a the poverty stricken infrastructure. Tsotsi is easy to relate to because even though he is lost in the film, when he realizes the life he his living is wrong, he tries to make it better. Overall this movie was great. Action, violence, plot twist, and great screen writing is the reason this film was academy nominated.



Plagiarism Checklist


CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 
1) (  ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (  ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (  ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) (  ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) (  ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (  ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) (  ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (  ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: ______Jibri Jack____________________             Date: ____________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final- Trinidad & Tobago

Background :    Trinidad and Tobago lies in the Caribbean Sea off the northeast coast of Venezuela. Christopher Columbus gave...