Sunday, May 7, 2017

Screening report 5: Taiwan: The Wedding Banquet

 


1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.
In class we mainly discussed the difference between the taiwan, american, and chinese filming styles of cinema. We also discussed how the plan got very complicated for the couples.  The techniques of getting a message delivered to the audience, directly or indirectly, is efficient or not. 

2)  Find a related article and summarize the content.  (on the film, director, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, etc.) 

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9F0CEFDB1431F937A3575BC0A965958260
This article is a review from the NY times. The author goes in depth the characters roles in the film, and how each character role was pivotal in getting the message across to the viewer.  The director had a large list of problems he could focus on but he mainly focused on the affair Wai-Tung and simon had going on. Wai-Tung starts to become americanized but then falls back to family traditions when he gets a visit from his parents.
3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.  

This article helped me realize the true meaning of this film. The fusing of different cultures can lead to self infliction. Wai-Tung is has to figure out his positions on topics such as gender, race, and ideals. Irony drove this film completely. 

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion,  formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article
Overall this film is a great depiction of man caught between doing what's right for self himself, or doing right by his family. This film was very slow at first, but grabs your attention with all the twist.  Even though Wai-Tung might be homosexual or bisexual, he still married Wei-Wei to satisfy his parents. You can expect all different emotions from laughter, sorrow, to confusion at times, but each character triggers something. I would compare this film to meet the fockers.

Plagiarism Checklist


CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 
1) (  ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (  ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (  ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) (  ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) (  ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (  ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) (  ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (  ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: _Jibri Jack____________________________  Date: ____________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final- Trinidad & Tobago

Background :    Trinidad and Tobago lies in the Caribbean Sea off the northeast coast of Venezuela. Christopher Columbus gave...