Monday, May 8, 2017

Screening Report 8: Iran: Persepolis

Persepolis
1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.
In class we discussed how Persepolis  was first a graphic novel that later turned into a movie. We discussed the country Iran in depth, culture, traditions,  war, and how religion deeply affects everyone l. Also why practices like drinking alcohol and showing your hair if you are a female isn't aloud. Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi directed this film 
2)  Find a related article and summarize the content.  (on the film, director, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, etc.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/25/movies/25pers.html
The NY times published a review on the the film. This article mainly talked about how the black and white effect adding great emotion to the flashback scenes. It was a subliminal message for portraying the "black and white'' world we live in.The writer also mention how the grandma's role was a pivotal character who represented the feminist. The style in which Marjane satrapi made a  comic book feeling movie come to real life was amazing. 
3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.
This article  made me change my perspective on the film. At first, I didn't think a 2D film could still be as entertaining as  a 3D film since  its has become uncommon  in film culture today, I appreciate the story as well.  Even though it was a cartoon, I could see how the writer says it came to life. 
 4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion,  formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.
Persepolis made me feel like I would be interested in reading the book. This film displays not only a little girl growing but a the whole nation evolving. You grow sympathy for marjane as she grows up in a hectic environment, and begin to wonder if it will ever get better. If you think a 2D movie won't have you involved, you must see Persepolis!

Plagiarism Checklist

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 
1) (  ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (  ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (  ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) (  ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) (  ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (  ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) (  ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (  ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: _____Jibri Jack_________________________
  Date: ____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final- Trinidad & Tobago

Background :    Trinidad and Tobago lies in the Caribbean Sea off the northeast coast of Venezuela. Christopher Columbus gave...