Monday, May 8, 2017

Screening Report 7:India: Bombay


1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

In class, we discussed the origin of indian cinema, bollywood,. Bollywood uses cliche hollywood techniques such as romance, singing, dancing, and drama. Bollywood is considered the biggest film industry in the world because of its unique style. They produce almost 1000 shows per year. Lip singing plays a huge role in bollywood films.Bollywood films intercorporate indian traditions in the film.

2)  Find a related article and summarize the content.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/Bombay-Interesting-facts-about-the-film/Bombay-Interesting-facts-about-the-film/photostory/47802408.cms

In this article, the writer gives a review about the film in depth. The writer stated some interesting facts about the film. A fact from the film was " It was screened at many prestigious international film festivals, including the Philadelphia Film Festival in 1996, where it was largely favoured by the audience. According to a report on En.wikipedia.org, the film created a controversy when it was released due to its depiction of inter religious relations. The film was banned in Malaysia and Singapore." Another fact was "The film won the Spirit of Freedom Award at the Jerusalem International Film Festival and the Gala Award at the Edinburgh International Film Festival. It also won the Special Award at the Political Film Society Awards."


3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.   How did the article support or change the way you thought about the film, director, content, etc.?
 This article made me realize how big of international success it was. A lot of people loved this film worldwide and felt aware what was going on in india at the time. This film was so truthful, that some countries banned it such as Malaysia and Singapore. They might of the thought the film was blasphemous to a religion they practiced.
 4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion,  formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.
Overall this film made me understand the riots of 1993 that were happening in bombay. I did not understand why a singing scene would happen out of nowhere. The lip singing was horrible but it made me laugh. he dancing scenes were amazing, I could appreciate the colorful scenes that came with it.  Although this film focused on one family, it was sad that nobody knew what even started the senseless killings in the first place. Overall a  deep, intriguing film that will inform you about what Bollywood is all about.

Plagiarism Checklist

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 
1) (  ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (  ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (  ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) (  ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) (  ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (  ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) (  ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (  ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: ___Jibri Jack_______________________________  Date: ____________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final- Trinidad & Tobago

Background :    Trinidad and Tobago lies in the Caribbean Sea off the northeast coast of Venezuela. Christopher Columbus gave...