Sunday, May 7, 2017

Screen Report 4: Cinema Paradiso



1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.
In class we discussed the topic of neorealism and  how it goes perfectly with italian films. We also discussed the structure in which the story unfolded. The  film is for people who appreciate how they fell in love with cinema. It focuses on a boy named Salvatore,  who falls in love with cinema while working at the local theater  named Cinema Paradiso.  We discussed how Salvatore used cinema to get away from his reality which consist WWII. The moral of the film was how in the end, he would leave his loved hometown to pursue his dream of becoming a film maker.

2)  Find a related article and summarize the content.  (on the film, director, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, etc.) You can use the library or the internet.  Cite the article and copy the link to your journal entry. Summarize in your own words the related article but do not plagiarize any content.  Make sure your link is a true hyperlink that will connect to the article you are referencing.

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9C0CE1DB123FF931A35751C0A966958260

This NY times gave a critical review of the film's storyline. The author Vincent Cambry said that this film is basically unreal. Cambry explains how can events that lead a successful film maker to remember his story in chronological order, is somewhat illusory. This quote further explains his opinion "Mr. Tornatore, who wrote the screenplay and directed ''Cinema Paradiso,'' may admire the masters but his methods are commonplace and false."

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.   How did the article support or change the way you thought about the film, director, content, etc.?
This article made me actually change my perception on the way this film was structured. It showed me how sometimes doing flashbacks can backfire  if you don't carefully stay true to the chronological sequences. The film lacks the true form of a neorealism film because it ends still like a  movie with the fancy car and beautiful women. One thing you could appreciate is the story of someone who chased their dream and accomplished it.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion,  formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article. 

This film was overall beautiful work from director Tornatore. I always admire stories that tapped into my nostalgia for something I liked, and this film did just that. His relationship with alfredo, makes you feel emotionally connected to him through Salvatore. I would still put this film under the genre of neorealism just because it still tapped into a dark time for Salvatore that he still feels even though he is successful.


Plagiarism Checklist


CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 
1) (  ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (  ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (  ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) (  ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) (  ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (  ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) (  ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (  ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: _Jibri Jack___________________________  
Date: ____________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final- Trinidad & Tobago

Background :    Trinidad and Tobago lies in the Caribbean Sea off the northeast coast of Venezuela. Christopher Columbus gave...