Monday, March 20, 2017

Screening Report 1: UK Trainspotting

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

In class we discussed Director Danny Boyle was one of the first director to interoperate drugs, sex, jail, death, and reality all in one film. Also we discussed  how Trainspotting focuses on making the viewer feel what a drug addict is going through. If I had to put this film in a genre, I would characterize this movie as a dark comedy drama. The way Boyle tapped into the viewers mind to make you feel every single scene was fascinating. I believe Boyle wanted to make you feel every emotion throughout the movie. For instance the scene when he accidently poops out the pills and goes searching for them in the toilet. I felt disgusted at that moment. Another time is when the baby dies to the drug addiction of the father. I felt sad because I thought about all the people in my life that overdosed. This movie also had a couple brighter scenes also, such as the club scene. In this scene the protagonist is trying to find a sexual partner but is having trouble. All of his friends are having similar scenarios happening to them on their conquest for sex. As the night goes on, everyone has a sexual interaction, or at least try to in some way. At first the protagonist looks like he was the only one that had a successful night, but Boyle bamboozles you again.  The viewer finds out the girl he’s seeing is only in high school. Boyle touched on a lot of political issues, social issues, defying the norms, and overall relate situations.



2)  Find a related article and summarize the content.
http://hazlitt.net/feature/heroin-clique-trainspotting-twenty-years-later


Alana Massey explains in this article how drug abuse is rejected by society and how Danny Boyle exposed a different side of that perception. At the time of the release, Film critics had a hard time understanding the "filth'' and " degenerates" that they were watching because of how raw Danny Boyle was giving it to them. The cast  was admired my British fans because they emulated not only a bad boy persona, but more so like a band with names such as Spud, Renton, and sick boy. This was a sneaky marketing tool that made them not look like junkies, but more so a boy band who indulged in drug abuse. 


3) Apply the article to the film screened in class. 


This article supported how I felt about director Danny Boyle overall objective, which was wanting to  tap into the viewers mind and make you feel what Renton is going through. In the the article, the writer Alana Massey talked about the two scenes that provoked the most emotion out of me. I knew when  I was watching the film that these two scenes were meant to stir up some type of sympathy for people who have a drug abuse problem. Danny Boyle did an excellent job how showing how it feels to be on heroin. 

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion,  formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.

Overall, this film depicted the obstacles a person on drugs has to overcome in order to maintain a normal lifestyle in a capitalistic world. Danny Boyle took an angle on the topic most people couldn't even imagine.
This film had a multitude of perspectives on a topic society tries to neglect. Not only did Boyle show you drugs effect the user, it showed you its effects everyone around you also. Trainspotting is a great film to educate the viewer on what heroin does to a person. 


CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 

1) (  ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (  ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (  ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) (  ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) (  ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (  ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) (  ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (  ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: ______Jibri Jack________________________________  Date: ________________2/5/17____________











No comments:

Post a Comment

Final- Trinidad & Tobago

Background :    Trinidad and Tobago lies in the Caribbean Sea off the northeast coast of Venezuela. Christopher Columbus gave...